Evan Milton: digital marketing, communication and interface
Evan Milton is a freelance digital communication strategist with fifteen years of experience in business insights, trend analysis, product development, media and publishing, and marketing strategy for the internet, mobile and social media spaces, and other emerging technologies. He has worked with organisations and brands ranging from Red Bull to Investec, and from Price Waterhouse Coopers to NEPAD. Recent clients include Media24, Hip2B2 and an anonymous whistleblower.
In a phrase, he is able to “talk tech” as well as to “talk marketing”, and is an expert in providing a clear communications roadmap for a client, product or service.
I: Client and agency offerings
- digital marketing, branding and advertising strategies
- businesses intelligence and competitor analysis, with particular attention to digital and mobile opportunities
- development of digital products and services
- trends presentations, both general and sector-specific, and tailored trends forecasts
- bespoke digital intelligence and product workshops, tailored for client business divisions, marketing departments and/or agencies
- proactive digital PR integration
- presentations to senior executives and board members on digital marketing, social media and mobile communication
- usability research and interface design
- transposing ATL/BTL/TTL and activation
- ongoing strategy and tactical input into project management and rollout – in other words: ensuring that the completed project meets the business need
II: Career highlights
- Digital strategy for a global health media project dubbed ‘the broccoli of television’ (you know it’s important, but who really wants to engage with it?). So, how do we get users to want ‘broccoli content’ via the web, social pages and mobile?
- Creating a SETA-accredited course to train print journalists in the ways and wiles of digital and mobile – and then training over 200 eager minds about this challenging new frontier of publishing
- Gently convincing more than 17 000 people across Africa and Asia to care a little bit more about malaria, rabies and other ‘neglected tropical diseases’
- MC for The Digital Edge 2012
- Serving as a judge for the Bookmarks in 2010
- Earning a Loerie Award for ‘New Media’ in 1998 (the first year the category existed)
- A decade later, being voted as one of the ITWeb 2008 “Who’s Who in the Web2.0 Zoo”
- Project managing what was then South Africa’s highest profile web-stream, the announcement of the 1997 Cape Town Olympic Bid for Electric Ocean and, later, content managing the live stream of the inaugural 46664 concert in 2003 for Tiscali
- Building and launching Yebo!Net and IOL.co.za and, oddly enough, managing the challenge of decommissioning Tiscali.co.za (many user expectations to be met)
- Speaking at the “Digital Marketing Masterclass” in 2009 and leading a workshop session for the inaugural International Marketing Conference in 2010
III: A brief history
Evan began work in digital marketing and interface design at Electric Ocean, one of South Africa’s first internet advertising entities, in 1996, and then gained considerable internet publishing and media experience as the Managing Editor and Publishing Editor at WorldOnline.co.za, before heading development on TiscaliMobile and TiscaliBusiness and then helping with the launch phase of 24.com. More recently, he worked as lead strategist for Native and strategy director for Stonewall Digital Marketing.
He has dim memories of actually coding .html, and of creating Mzansi’s first ever online version of a print publication (ADA Magazine, in 1996), which he fondly hopes the other dozen people then online in South Africa bothered to read. He is a popular conference speaker (“Aggregate 2010”, “Reshaping Media”, “Digital Edge”) and, in his spare time, is an established music journalist, South African Music Awards judge, radio DJ, columnist for WhatsOn.co.za and occasional lecturer (UCT “Film and Media Studies”). He also trains print media practitioners in preparation for the digital world.